About the commercial EPC Certificate

All commercial buildings now require an energy performance certificate when they are newly constructed, sold or rented. This means any non-dwelling, i.e. industrial units, retail outlets and offices.

Do you need an EPC? Click below to find out.

See a sample energy performance certificate:


Which buildings are exempt?

  • Places of worship
  • Stand-alone building of less than 50 square meters (except for dwellings)
  • Temporary buildings with a planned time of use of 2 years or less
  • Particular building with a low energy demand (e.g. barns)
  • In some circumstances buildings to be demolished are exempt from requiring a certificate
  • An EPC is not required for any (off-plan) sales or letting before the construction of the building has been completed.

A commercial (non-domestic) EPC is valid for ten years, or until a newer EPC is prepared.

What's involved with an assessment?

Our energy assessor will look at the following building elements:

  • The building size and orientation (if you have building plans available, we won't have to measure the building. This will reduce the cost of the assessment)
  • Thermal characteristics of the building
  • Heating and hot water systems
  • Air conditioning
  • Ventilation (mechanical & natural)
  • Lighting
  • Any renewable energy sources


Call us today and speak to our EPC Specialist "James" on 07714 291998 or complete the form HERE for a Commercial EPC quote.

Elmhurst Approved Energy Assessor1
Sterling Accreditation
Institute of Domestic Energy Assessors
Chase Inventory Services