• Commercial EPC

  • Air conditioning inspections

  • Domestic EPCs

  • Phone details

About Commercial EPC's

Obtaining an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is a legal requirement if you wish to sell or rent out any existing property within the UK.

Where a property has been newly constructed and when the initial construction stage comes to an end an EPC is also required.

If the property in question is a business or commercial premises then you will need to get your EPC from a commercial energy assessor. The person conducting the assessment may differ from those who provide domestic certificates due to the different complexities and features of commercial properties over domestic ones.

The purpose of an EPC is to show how energy efficient a building is. Various factors will be taken into consideration in order to determine efficiency. Some of the things an assessor will look at in order to collect the required information for a commercial EPC certificate will be:

  1. What material the building is made from
  • The fabric of the walls
  1. Both internal and external walls will be evaluated
  2. Whether walls are single skin or cavity in construction
  3. The materials used: Brick, Block, Timber, Metal and so on
  • How windows and doors are made
  1. Whether frames are wooden, metal or UPVC
  2. The type and style of window. i.e. fixed closed, sash or hinge opening
  3. If windows are single, double or triple glazed
  • The type of roof
  1. A roof may be pitched, flat or possibly have varying contours and valleys
  2. The material used for its construction: slate, tile, metal, glass, thatch, etc..
  3. Whether the roof has any windows will also be a factor
  • The type of flooring throughout
  1. Is there a basement or cellar?
  2. Are the varying floors of the building solid, or are there floorboards or other types of cavity flooring
  3. If any underfloor heating is in operation
  1. What level of insulation the building currently has
  • Do any cavity walls contain insulation?
  • Is there any loft insulation? If so, what type and how thick?

There are exceptions to the requirement for a building to have an EPC, which are:

  1. If a building is listed and altering it is deemed unacceptable
  2. Places of worship or areas used for other religious activity
  3. Industrial sites that don’t use much energy
  4. If demolition has been scheduled or planning permission has been applied for
  5. Temporary buildings in use for 2 years or less
  6. Detached buildings with less than 50 meters squared of total floor space

Once a commercial EPC has been obtained it will last for a period of 10 years. There are also other considerations beyond having a current EPC that need to be adhered to for any commercial property. There are likely to be various other certificates that are required. Safety certificates for heating systems are necessary, as are periodic checks on electrical systems. An air conditioning inspection will be required for premises with such systems in place. There is a requirement to comply with both building regulations and water regulations and the onus is on the owner or property manager to ensure standards are met and maintained. For more information contact the relevant body.

Elmhurst Approved Energy Assessor1
Sterling Accreditation
Institute of Domestic Energy Assessors
Chase Inventory Services