What is a Commercial Energy Assessor?

Surrey Energy Ratings is a commercial energy assessor organisation. This means we can provide a commercial EPC for your commercial property. An energy performance certificate (EPC) is legally required when a property is sold or rented.

A commercial energy assessor will be needed to undertake a survey of the property. This will entail examining the construction of the building; floors, walls, roofs, windows. Taking note of the approximate age of the building and any extensions, where possible, documenting any insulation that was originally or subsequently installed. The assessor will also need to examine any heating and hot water systems and their controls and take details of the lighting in use throughout the property. This includes any air conditioning equipment as well. The assessor will advise if the property requires an air conditioning inspection to be carried out. These are required for any building with 12kW or more of cooling. An air conditioning certificate is a legal requirement and must be renewed every five years.

Once the survey has been completed, the commercial energy assessor creates the commercial EPC by 'zoning' the property into areas of different usage, such as office space, sales areas, toilets etc. The data for each zone construction type, heating and lighting is detailed and the resulting recommendations for improvement are assessed for their appropriateness to the building and adjusted if deemed necessary by the commercial energy assessor.

The resulting energy certificate and recommendation report are officially lodged on the Landmark database and are valid for ten years irrespective of whether the owner or tenant changes within that time. The commercial energy assessor will then usually email the finalised reports to the client unless specifically requested to provide hard copies.

The recommendation report is intended to act as a guide for any new owner or tenant that might be looking to improve the energy efficiency of the building that they are paying the bills to heat and light.

Elmhurst Approved Energy Assessor1
Sterling Accreditation
Institute of Domestic Energy Assessors
Chase Inventory Services